Summer Internship Program:Sussex County-Airfield 4-H Center
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H, ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
We are developing our overall adult educational programs and expanding our youth educational programs in Natural Resources and Challenge Course. Specifically the intern would be developing opportunities for Road Scholar programs to expand our adult educational programs and provide additional revenue for the center to support the 4-H Camping Programs. Initial programs would include our natural resources and heritage (Pork, Peanuts, Cotton, Pine, Swamps, Civil War, Plantations, and Colonial Virginia). Youth programs would include expanding our field trips especially in Environmental Science by working with collaborating agencies.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The Intern will gain knowledge and skills related to developing and implementing educational programs in the tourist industry. Would work directly with educators and tourism professionals. Developing programs, marketing and implementing the educational trips/programs to increase revenue for the 4-H Center as well as offer new innovative programs related to our area. Our partners include the Virginia Tourism Commission, The Virginia Department of Forestry, The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, The Nature Conservancy. We want to take what people love about our area and develop program packages that others can learn about the treasures of Southeast Virginia. Think about traversing our scenic waterways and tupelo swamps or cycling our rural backroads during harvest season. Exploring the natural beauty of the Savanah Pine Forest and searching for the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker and other rare wildlife species.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
Working with 4-H Youth and other VCE professionals our intern will be immersed in VCE programming. Working with Center Conference Staff the intern will be working with Tourism professionals as well as other agency partners to develop youth and adult educational programs outside of the traditional classroom.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County