Summer Internship Program: Rockingham County - Position 1
Primary Program Area Focus: ANR, FCS, and 4-H
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The unit intern will work with agents to develop, implement and evaluate Extension programs within the county. Examples of projects the intern might be expected to assist with include, but will not be limited to:
- Shenandoah Valley corn hybrid test plots
- Assist with Pressure canner clinics
- Dairy judging practices
- The Rockingham County 4-H/FFA Market Livestock Program
- Rockingham County Summer Enrichment Camps
- 4-H Volunteer Coordination
- Reality Store
- Cover Crop plots
- Clover Bud activities
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
We expect the intern to gain an appreciation for and understanding of Virginia Cooperative Extension and the program areas that are served in Rockingham County. As a main component, it is expected that they demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate with both youth and adult clientele. Additionally, they will be given tasks where they will need to demonstrate the ability to perform without direct and constant supervision. The intern will also participate in a mid-term review of their internship experience to insure that the expectations of both the intern and VCE unit are being met. A detailed internship report will be submitted to campus at the conclusion of the intern program. Where appropriate, Extension staff will work with the intern’s university to assure that requirements for course credit are met.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
It is our intention for the successful applicant to get a diverse exposure to all of the program areas within Virginia Cooperative Extension. As the number one county for agricultural sales, a good portion of the internship experience will be spent with unit ANR agents (Agronomy, Horticulture and Dairy) as they conduct their summer educational programs, test plots, research projects and farm visits. The summer intern will also work with the unit 4-H agent in working with the county based 4-H Summer Enrichment Camps as well as the Rockingham County 4-H/FFA Market Livestock Program. The intern position will work with the FCS agent to offer a few summer FCS programs including pressure canner clinics. We will also pair the intern with our unit FNP technician to gain an understanding of the services offered through SNAP-Ed and EFNEP.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County