Family Financial Management
Our family financial management programs help secure healthy financial futures for Virginia families. We work with people of all ages from children through the elderly to promote sound practices.
A variety of topics are addressed, including:
- financial, consumer and housing issues
- establishing budgets and creating goals
- using credit wisely and improving credit scores
- reducing debt
- planning for home ownership
- preventing foreclosure
- avoiding predatory lending
- preventing bankruptcy (offer the personal finance class required by those filing for bankruptcy)
- preventing identity theft
- planning for baby; the consumer issues
- learning how children influence family finances
- caring for elderly parents: financial issues
- teaching children financial management skills
- creating healthy homes; reducing clutter, mold, mildew and water safety
We also provide several simulations such as Life in the State of Poverty, Kid’s Market Place, and Reality Store. Teacher training is provided to help meet the financial literacy objectives required by the Virginia Department of Education.
For questions regarding financial management, please contact your county's unit office.