4-H Horse Program
The emphasis of Virginia's 4-H Horse and Pony program is on equine selection, nutrition, management, riding, recreation, fun, and horsemanship. Horseback riding provides an outdoor sports fitness program for physical, personal, and emotional development, including confidence building. The sport can develop into a life-long hobby or business. Projects are available for youth owning or having access to horses, and also for youth not having access to horses (horseless horse projects).
- State Shows
- Qualifying Events
- Regional & National Events
- Horsemanship Skills
- Horse Ambassador
- Conferences / Clinics / Camps / Shows
- Publications and Resources
- Study Materials
The NEW Horse Ambassador Program officially begins September 25, 2017, with those inducted to serve a one year term. Ambassadors are available to serve and lead in a variety of outreach and public service capacities, connecting with the community, assisting with 4-H local and District level equine events, meeting with legislators, and representing our program at the state level. In addition, they serve in very important roles at our State 4-H Horse Shows and Educational events. Opportunities are almost limitless as they are encouraged to use this platform, along with their individual skills, passions and talents, to help grow our 4-H Horse Program and the Equine Community. During their term, they will experience leadership trainings, state-wide travel, public speaking opportunities and networking.
If you are interested in starting a new 4-H Horse Club, please first contact your local 4-H Extension agent. If you are an established 4-H Horse Club or have a need at your District 4-H horse events for leadership service and support, please contact the District or Lead Advisor, who wiill connect you with an Ambassador. For special non-4-H equine or agriculture-related events requesting 4-H Horse Program representation please contact the area District Advisor and/or the State Lead Advisor, Sandy Arnold for Ambassador support.
2017 Ambassadors (Sept. 25, 2017 - Sept. 25, 2018)
- Central District
Ambassador - Taylor Prince, Appomattox Co.
Contact: Hannah Robbins, 4-H Extension agent, Dinwiddie
- Northern District
Hannah Beaver, Albemarle Co.
Katie Define, Albemarle Co.
Camryn Madagan, Frederick Co.
Contact: Krystal Williams, 4-H Extension agent, Fairfax
- Southeast District
Martina Essert, Chesapeake Co.
Kacy Goodson, Chesapeake Co.
Abby Kambarn, Accomack Co.
Contact: Krista Gustafson, 4-H Extension agent, Gloucester
- Southwest District
Laurel Pollock, Craig Co.
Contact: Sam Leech, 4-H Extension agent, Tazewell
- At Large
Maryann Johnson, Southampton Co.
Caitlyn Russ, Albemarle Co.
Abbey Rinker, Shenandoah Co.
Morgan Strickler, Frederick Co.
Contact: Sandy Arnold, Lead Advisor
- Ambassador Advisors
State Lead - Sandy Arnold, Middleburg Office
State Support - Leona Ransdell and Celeste Crisman, Blacksburg Office
Central District - Hannah Robbins, 4-H Extension agent, Dinwiddie
Northern District - Krystal Williams, 4-H Extension agent, Fairfax
Southeast District - Krista Gustafson, 4-H Extension agent, Gloucester
Southwest District - Sam Leech, 4-H Extension agent, Tazewell
Advisor Mentors - Libby Arnold, Prince William Co. and Mattie Ruth Stanley
- Application Information
Horse Program Teen Ambassador Application and Information
THIS PROGRAM IS SPONSORED BY THE FOLLOWING:
- NEW 2017 Horse Project Record Books
- 4-H Horse Program Resources
- This page contains policies and guidelines for Virginia Tech and 4-H Horse related events. It also contains the Volunteer resources, educational resources, as well as rulebooks, horse judging resources and measurement resources.
- Horse-related publications
- This page contains publications and record books for all 4-H Animal Science projects.
- Block & Bridle Horse Judging Contest Results
- Block and Bridle Hippology Contest Results
- State Hippology Contest Results
- State 4-H Horse Judging Contest Results
- Public Speaking and Demonstration Contest Results
- Horse Bowl Contest Results
- Horse Show Results
- State Fair Results
- Southern Regionals
- Eastern National 4-H Horse Roundup Results
4-H Horse Program Newsletters
- July - August 2017 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- May - June 2017 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- March - Aprill 2017 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- January - February 2017 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- December 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- October/November 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- September 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- July - August 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- June 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- April - May 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- March 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- February 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- January 2016 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- December 2015 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- November 2015 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
- October 2015 Virginia Horse Program Newsletter
VT APSC Newsletters with 4-H Horse Program Content
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2015 (PDF | 6MB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2014 (PDF | 5MB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2013 (PDF | 8MB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2012 (PDF | 5MB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2011 (PDF | 999KB)
- Newsletter Spring/Summer 2011 (PDF | 1019KB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2009 (PDF | 1MB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2008 (PDF | 786KB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2007 (PDF | 696KB)
- Newsletter Fall/Winter 2006 (PDF | 1MB)
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Olympic Bronze Medal Level Sponsor
Ruby Level Sponsors:
Blue Ridge Trailers - Ruckersville, VA