Spotted Lanternfly in Virginia
A potentially very serious pest of grapes, peaches, hops, and a variety of other crops, the spotted lanternfly (SLF), Lycorma delicatula, was detected in Frederick County, Virginia, on Jan. 10, 2018.
It is important to look for it and report any finds.
The spotted lanternfly has also been reported on a range of ornamentals around the home and in the landscape; in high numbers, the insect can become a nuisance pest to homeowners.
Early, immature stages of the spotted lanternfly are wingless and black and have white spots that develop to red patches.
Clockwise from top left: Adult showing hind wings, adult with folded wings, early black and white nymphs. full grown nymphs showing red, and egg masses.
SLF egg masses are 1-1.5" long and ½-¾" wide, shiny and grayish-brown in color when fresh. They weather to a flat gray-brown color with age.
Are you a Virginia Resident and you found a Spotted Lanternfly?
- If you are in Frederick, Clarke, or Warren Counties or in the City of Winchester and need information or to report a spotted lanternfly
- If you are in any other county or city in Virginia and want to report a possible Spotted Lanternfly, go to Ask Extension:
- Find your local Extension office
- Virginia Pest Alert for Spotted Lanternfly
- Possible Spotted Lanternfly Egg Mass Look-alikes in Virginia
- Possible Spotted Lanternfly Immature Look-alikes in Virginia
- Possible Spotted Lanternfly Adult Look-alikes in Virginia
- Lifecycle Calendar
- Detailed fact sheet on the life cycle and control of the spotted lanternfly
- UDSA information on the Spotted Lanternfly
- Best Management Practices for Spotted Lanternfly in Yards and Landscapes
- Residential Control for Spotted Lanternfly (SLF) in Virginia
- Best Management Practices for Spotted Lanternfly on Christmas Tree Farms
- Spotted Lanternfly in Virginia Vineyards: Lycorma delicatula (White) (Hemiptera: Fulgoridae)
- Viticulture Management poster
- Virginia Spotted Lanternfly Quarantine
- What Virginians Need to Know About the Spotted Lanternfly Quarantine
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Spotted Lanternfly Resources
- Spotted Lantenfly Quarantine training https://register.ext.vt.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=1066947&selectedProgramAreaId=25575&selectedProgramStreamId
- Identification and Control of Tree-of-Heaven
- Control and Utilization of the Tree-of-Heaven by the Virginia Department of Forestry. http://www.dof.virginia.gov/infopubs/Control-and-Utilization-of-Tree-of-Heaven-2019-03_pub.pdf
- Tree of Heaven identification
- Invasive Plant Species: Ailanthus (Ailanthus altissima)
County Resources for spotted lanternfly
- Augusta County https://augusta.ext.vt.edu/
- Clarke County https://clarke.ext.vt.edu; https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/programs/home-horticulture/spotted-lanternfly.html
- Dickenson County https://dickenson.ext.vt.edu
- Frederick County https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/; https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/programs/home-horticulture/spotted-lanternfly.html
- Loudoun County https://www.loudoun.gov/spottedlanternfly
- Page County https://page.ext.vt.edu/; https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/programs/home-horticulture/spotted-lanternfly.html
- Shenandoah County https://shenandoah.ext.vt.edu/; https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/programs/home-horticulture/spotted-lanternfly.html
- Warren County https://warren.ext.vt.edu; https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/programs/home-horticulture/spotted-lanternfly.html
- City of Winchester https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/; https://frederick.ext.vt.edu/programs/home-horticulture/spotted-lanternfly.html; https://slf-winchestercity.hub.arcgis.com/
- Alerta de Plagas: Mosca Linterna con Manchas Lycorma delicatula
Alerta de Plagas: Mosca Linterna con Manchas
- Control de la Mosca Linterna con Manchas (Spotted Lanternfly- SLF) en Hogares de Virginia
- Mosca Linterna con Manchas (Spotted Lanternfly) en Viñedos de Virginia: Lycorma delicatula (White) (Hemiptera: Fulgoridae)
- Ciclo de Vida en Virginia de Spotted Lanternfly (Mosca de Alas Manchadas)
- Alerta de plagas, Mosca linterna con manchas (Lycorma delicatula)
USDA Alerta de Plagas: Mosca Linterna con Manchas