Virginia Tech® home

Careers in Extension

4H agent with members
4-H Agent Brian Hairston and 4-H members in Henry County.

Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) is a dynamic organization that advocates positive change for more productive lives and vibrant communities. As a part of VCE, you will be a professional educator working with other faculty members at Virginia's land-grant universities — Virginia Tech and Virginia State University. Extension specialists and agents work on one of the university campuses, or at one of more than 120 locations across the commonwealth of Virginia

Virginia Cooperative Extension's mission is to enable people to improve their lives through an educational process that uses scientific knowledge focused on issues and needs. If that mission appeals to you, we’d like to hear from you.

Types of Positions

Extension Specialists

Extension employs tenure-track faculty in specialist positions that typically also include appointment in an academic department at Virginia Tech or Virginia State University. Specialists are typically assigned to the campus of Virginia Tech or Virginia State University or one of our 11 Agricultural Research and Extension Centers located across the state.

Extension Specialist
Extension Specialist Tony Wolf conducts a tour of the research vineyard in Winchester, Va.

Extension Agents

Extension agents are non-tenure-track, administration and professional faculty, who are usually assigned to one of our 108 offices and focus in one of our three program areas:  agriculture and natural resources, family and consumer sciences, or 4-H youth development.  

Administrative Staff

The VCE state office and the field offices have a staff to support the activities and goals of Extension.

Search for Job Openings

Opportunities for employment with Virginia Cooperative Extension are posted on the Virginia Tech Personnel Services website.  

To find job postings for VCE at VSU, Click Here

To find job postings for VCE, click on this direct link, or follow these steps:  

  1. Go to
  2. For Extension Agent positions, Select "ADMINISTRATIVE & PROFESSIONAL" from the right. For Extension Specialist positions, select TEACHING AND RESEARCH from the right. Specialist positions will include "Extension responsibilities" in the job description. 
  3. Type “Extension” in the block marked “Job search” 
  4. Hit enter.

Note: This search will list all positions available within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Featured Openings

4-H Youth Development

Agriculture and Natural Resources

Family and Consumer Sciences



Lisa J Mullins
Human Resources Transactions Coordinator
Hutcheson Hall STE 104 (0437)