Careers in Extension
Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) is a dynamic organization that advocates positive change for more productive lives and vibrant communities. As a part of VCE, you will be a professional educator working with other faculty members at Virginia's land-grant universities — Virginia Tech and Virginia State University. Extension specialists and agents work on one of the university campuses, or at one of more than 120 locations across the commonwealth of Virginia
Virginia Cooperative Extension's mission is to enable people to improve their lives through an educational process that uses scientific knowledge focused on issues and needs. If that mission appeals to you, we’d like to hear from you.
Types of Positions
Extension employs tenure-track faculty in specialist positions that typically also include appointment in an academic department at Virginia Tech or Virginia State University. Specialists are typically assigned to the campus of Virginia Tech or Virginia State University or one of our 11 Agricultural Research and Extension Centers located across the state.
Extension agents are non-tenure-track, administration and professional faculty, who are usually assigned to one of our 108 offices and focus in one of our three program areas: agriculture and natural resources, family and consumer sciences, or 4-H youth development.
The VCE state office and the field offices have a staff to support the activities and goals of Extension.
Search for Job Openings
Opportunities for employment with Virginia Cooperative Extension are posted on the Virginia Tech Personnel Services website.
To find job postings for VCE, click on this direct link, or follow these steps:
- Go to http://listings.jobs.vt.edu.
- For Extension Agent positions, Select "ADMINISTRATIVE & PROFESSIONAL FACULTY" from the top menu. For Extension Specialist positions, select INSTRUCTIONAL/RESEARCH FACULTY from the top menu. Specialist positions will include "Extension responsibilities" in the job description.
- Type “Extension” in the block marked “Keywords”
- Click the "Search" button.
Note: This search will list all positions available within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
4-H Youth Development
- Program Director, W. E. Skelton, 4-H Educational Conference Center (AP0180259)
- Northern Center Director, 4-H Educational Center (AP0180257)
- Northern Program Director, 4-H Educational Center (AP0180260)
- Holiday Lake Center Director, 4-H Educational Center (AP0180258)
- 4-H Program Director, Holiday Lake 4-H Education Center (AP0180265)
Agriculture and Natural Resources
Family and Consumer Sciences
Professional Development Opportunities
- Networked Learning Initiatives
- Online Master of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- University Organizational and Professional Development
Linda C. Alumbaugh
Human Resource Assistant
120 Hutcheson Hall (0437)