From time to time our collaborators from the Virginia Department of Forestry, Virginia Cooperative extension, Virginia Tech, Virginia State University, and Resource Conservation and Development offices host demonstrations or presentations about the pros and cons of natural lump charcoal. Here is a place to find materials or announcements related to those presentations. Drop us a line (VTCharcoal@vt.edu) if you've got questions about finding sources of lump charcoal, cooking with it, or making your own!
- Charcoal: a value-added opportunity for wood handlers. by Adam K. Downing, Forestry & Natural Resources Extension Agent in Virginia's Northern Piedmont region.
- Real charcoal demonstration: Make it yourself for personal use or as a business opportunity. October 1, 2011 8:00 AM to noon at the Madison County Farmers’ Market.
Directions to the Farmers’ Market
- Producing and marketing natural wood "lump" charcoal home
- Charcoal-making resources
- Marketing resource
- Outreach [rogram
- Virginia Tech Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
- Virginia Department of Forestry
- Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Virginia Forest Landowner UpdateResource Conservation and Development
Dr. Phil Radtke
Forest Resources & Environmental Conservation
319 Cheatham Hall (0324)
Blacksburg, VA 24061