Virginia Farmer of the Year
The Virginia Farmer of the Year award recognizes individual contributions to the commonwealth’s agriculture industry.
The Virginia Farmer of the Year joins nine other state winners as finalists for the Swisher Sweets/Sunbelt Expo Southeastern Farmer of the Year Award, which is presented each year at the Swisher Sweets/Sunbelt Ag Expo farm show in Moultrie, Georgia.
Each state winner receives $2,500 and an all-expense-paid trip to the expo, along with other prizes. The overall southeastern winner receives $15,000 and various other prizes from the sponsors.
Extension has nominated individuals for Swisher Sweets/Sunbelt Expo Southeastern Farmer of the Year since the award’s inception in 1990.
Previous state winners include:
- 2017 Robert Mills Jr. of Callands
- 2016 Tyler Wegmeyer of Hamilton County
- 2015 Don Turner of North Dinwiddie
- 2014 Robert T. “Tom” Nixon II of Rapidan
- 2013 Lin Jones of New Canton
- 2012 Maxwell Watkins of Sutherland
- 2011 Donald Horsley of Virginia Beach
- 2010 Wallick Harding of Jetersville
- 2009 Billy Bain of Dinwiddie
- 2008 Tim Sutphin of Dublin
- 2007 Steve Berryman of Surry
- 2006 Paul House of Nokesville
- 2005 Monk Sanford of Orange
- 2004 Lance Everett of Stony Creek
- 2003 Charles Parkerson of Suffolk
- 2002 J. Hudson Reese of Scottsburg
- 2001 James Huffard III of Crockett
- 2000 John Davis of Port Royal
- 1999 Ernest Copenhaver of Meadowview
- 1998 James Bennett of Red House
- 1997 G.H. Peery III of Ceres
- 1996 Bill Blalock of Baskerville
- 1995 George M. Ashman Jr. of Amelia
- 1994 Buck McCann of Carson
- 1993 Hilton Hudson of Alton
- 1992 Harry Bennett of Covington
- 1991 Russell Inskeep of Culpeper
- 1990 Nelson Gardner of Bridgewater
2017 Virginia Farmer of the Year
If you would like to nominate a Virginia farmer for this award, contact your local Virginia Cooperative Extension agent.