Job Description and Qualifications
General Job Description
- Seeks information from mentors and colleagues regarding the history, purpose and mission of Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Works with Unit Extension Agents to coordinate and implement educational program events and activities, aimed to improve lives and communities.
- Participates in meetings where local issues are identified and prioritized, and program results and plans are discussed.
- Assists in preparations for planned events and activities by gathering information, assembling materials, contacting participants, and soliciting support from external sources. As appropriate, conducts the teaching, training, or other program presentations.
- In some cases, the intern may identify and develop a value-added process, program, or training tool that may be implemented within the hosting unit's current operations. This contribution should provide a substantial addition to the intern's resume as practical and applicable work experience.
- Maintains a log, blog, or journal outlining internship experiences in order to complete the required Record of Internship. Completes and submits Record of Internship at the conclusion of the internship.
- Compensation: Interns will work up to 40 hours per week for a maximum of 10 weeks in the summer at an hourly rate of $12.
- Housing is not provided. However, Unit faculty may be able to assist you in finding an affordable place to live.
(More specific job description information can be found on the location of current internship opportunities page)
- Student applicants must be currently accepted for, or enrolled in, a four-year accredited college or university in a course of study relevant to the mission of Extension. Community College (or other 2-year college) students are eligible to apply for a VCE internship, but before the student can be hired, they would have to provide proof (acceptance letter) that they have been accepted into a 4 year institution. The student can apply for an internship without that proof, and can even be offered a position, but VCE must see proof of acceptance into a 4-year institution before they can be hired. The student would also have to be accepted in a field of study aligned with VCE’s programming efforts.
- Non-student applicants must at least have a bachelor's degree at the start of the internship with at least one degree in a discipline related to the mission of Extension.
- Student applicants must have completed their sophomore year prior to the start of the internship (i.e. you must be a rising college Junior or Senior)
- All applicants must possess a minimum GPA of 2.5 based on a 4.0 scale at the time of application (exceptions will be considered with substantial justification).
- Interns must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Must have strong oral and written communications skills, and be able to work effectively and build relationships with others.
- Must have good organization and planning skills, and be able to demonstrate effective project coordination, facilitation, and implementation based on past work or school experiences.
- Must possess deductive reasoning skills and be able to analyze and synthesize information for problem solving.
- Experience working with volunteers and youth is preferred.
- Must have a personal commitment to working with diverse clientele and colleagues.
- Must be willing to travel within the local area and work flexible hours. In other words, this position requires travel connected with official duties, including attendance at night and weekend meetings. (Mileage reimbursement will be provided.)
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County