Summer Internship Program: Giles County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H, ANR, and FCS
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The 2021 Giles VCE Summer Intern will assist with 4-H Day Camping Series that will consist of four weeks featuring Cloverbud, Agriculture, and Outdoor Adventure Day Camps. The Intern will also support educational programming for 4-H clubs in Giles County. These clubs consist of two community clubs (Teen and Newport). The Intern will also assist with ANR programming such as farm visits, Annie’s Project, fescue research, projects with the Giles County Ag Land Lab, collaborating with Master Gardener volunteers, and any other ANR educational programming. The Intern will also have exposure to FCS programming including the Kids in the Kitchen Summer program. The Intern will be expected to assist with office administrative duties such as data collection and entry, preparing mailings, and taking personal and phone messages. Adjustments to activities will be made if conditons do not improve with COVID-19.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
As the 2021 Giles VCE Summer Intern, the successful candidate will gain experience in:
- Education program development, delivery, and evaluation
- Program marketing tips and techniques
- Youth development and group facilitation
- 4-H delivery methods
- Customer Service
- Soil/Forage Sampling
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The successful candidate will be exposed to various 4-H delivery methods,
differentiated ANR and FCS programs, and community partnerships and involvement. This Intern will attend regular Giles Unit staff meetings and at least one Giles Extension Leadership Council meeting where all program areas (ANR, 4-H, and FCS) are represented. During the anticipated internship timeframe there will also be opportunities to attend professional in-service trainings with both the ANR and 4-H agents where they can witness VCE and its interrelations with other agencies, departments, and partners.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County