Summer Internship Program: Appomattox County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H and ANR
1. Describe the plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The intern will assist all Extension agents in the Appomattox unit. Intern will assist the ANR agent with farm visits; sample preparation and sample identification of various insect, plant disease and weed samples; data collection from on-farm research/demonstration plots and various day-to-day activities as they arise. Intern will also assist the 4-H agent with 4-H camp planning and implementation, teen leader training activities, completion of in-school clubs and day to day activities. Intern will also work with Master Gardeners assisting with day camps, etc. Past experience has indicated the intern will work approximately 75 percent with the 4-H program and 25 percent with the ANR program.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills that the intern is expected to gain from this experience.
Intern will be exposed to research methodology while assisting the ANR agent with on-farm research/demonstration trials. Intern will learn how to use diagnostic keys to identify various weed, insect and plant disease samples. Time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills will be gained while assisting two agents and the various day-to-day activities of the office. Youth education experience will also be gained by the intern. Public speaking and personal interaction and leadership skills will also be gained through the daily interaction with youth, teens and adults.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The intern will assist all program areas in the Appomattox unit. Individual will work closelywith ANR agent to assist area clientele. Intern will be exposed to the various testing services offered by Virginia Cooperative Extension such as soil testing, plant disease identification, insect identification and weed identification. Intern will assist ANR agent with farm visits and learn about research methodology while assisting agent with on-farm research/demonstration plots. 4-H programming will also be a major focus for the Appomattox intern. 4-H camp preparation and the camping experience will be prime components for the intern experience. The intern will
also assist the agents with social media development for advertising programs and activities. The intern will assist the 4-H agent with area programming.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County