Summer Internship Program: Arlington County
Primary Program Area Focus: ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The intern will be assigned to the ANR program of the Arlington Extension Office to support the Urban Agriculture (Vegtable Gardening/Food Production) Outreach effort.
Successful applicant will have:
- An interest in agriculture, food security, policy, and local implementation.
- Some knowledge of and experience in gardening and home food production.
- Desire for attention to detail. Experience in photography a plus.
- Personal computer, access to wi-fi, and private transportation (car) are required.
Activities will include but not be limited to the following areas of engagement
1. Serve as Extension contact for facilitation of the Spring 2021 Plot Against Hunger Training Internship in the gardens that will start following completion of coursework in May.
2. Organization, engagement and support for establishing "Extension Connexion" Master Gardener liaisons with old and new community garden efforts including HUG Garden (Crystal City) and Green Valley (Arlington) TBD
3. Photograph, label and sort photographs of vegetables grown in the Organic Vegetable Garden, Plot Against Hunger Gardens and private gardens as a resource for future social meida use.
4. Serve as facilitator for one or more public education Zoom programs and do closed captioning on a pre-edited food production related programs.
5. Organize Extension Master Gardener contact with the Arlington Friends of Urban Agriculture organization and the head gardeners to serve as a VCE Liaison and facilitator to Plot Against Hunger gardens.
6. Represent local Extension and report on food production and nutrition education programming at regional food security meetings.
7. Expand and Improve on Urban Ag Short Course presentation for October Urban Ag month.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience. Applicant will learn about course development and organization and will be able to observe and participate in a volunteer organization leadership. Opportunity for a self-directed project related to food production, urban agriculture, or food insecurity will be available.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
Travel reimbursement for automobile mileage is provided.
Programmatic oversight by Kirsten Conrad with support from Arlington Extension faculty and administrative assistants, FOUA contacts, and Master Gardener contacts.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County