Summer Internship Program: Buckingham County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
In the recent situation analysis, two of the top issues identified for Buckingham County were agriculture & forestry, and positive youth programming. Hiring a VCE summer intern will enable Virginia Cooperative Extension to provide additional programming during the summer to address these needs. The intern in this position will split his/her time between 4-H (65%) and ANR (35%)
- VCE orientation; training
- Work with ANR Agent on wrap up from Livestock Show; preparing for events
- Work with 4-H Agent on Day Camps and preparation for 4-H Camp
- Work with 4-H Agent/PFSWCD in preparing for and conducting Watershed Exploration Camp
- Work with UAA and ANR Agent to package and distribute ear tags for the BCA telo-auction
- Work with UAA and ANR Agent in mailings to producers
- Work with ANR Agent on farm visits
- Work with 4-H Agent in perparing for and conducting 4-H Camp and Cloverbud Weekend
- Work with 4-H Agent in compiling evaluations from Jr. 4-H Camp.
- Work with 4-H Agent and Program Assistant in preparing for, conducting, and evaluating 4H Day Camps.
- Assist ANR Agent in Record Keeping during Cattle Grading (Farm Visits)
- Assist UAA or ANR Volunteer in inputting data into the computer; printing and mailing packets for BCA Telo-Auction
- Assist with BCA Telo-Auction preparation and cattle load out
- Complete intern evaluation
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern will gain the following knowledge / skills:
- 4-H program planning and delivery
- Knowledge of and skills related to positive youth development
- cattle working
- the many facets of preparing cattle for market
- the contributions VCE makes to the Agriculture community in terms of providing information, education and support
- the importance of proper record keeping
- how to manage time effectively
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
Through working in a very busy Extension Unit, the Intern will be immersed in 4-H programming and ANR programming with a special emphasis on cattle production. He/she will work with youth in camp settings and interact with their parents/guardians on the phone and in person. He/she will interact with agricultural producers as well as clientele with home gardening, forestry, pest control, or related questions. Through everyday activity, answering phones, and greeting walk-in clients, the VCE summer intern will gain a good understanding of Extension summer programming at the local level.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County