Summer Internship Program: Culpeper County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The 4-H summer intern will be expected to work closely with the 4-H agent in planning and facilitating summer day camps, the Culpeper-Madison-Rappahannock Farm Show, 4-H Ag Day, CSRS Junior Camp, etc. The summer is a great time to learn about all program areas in VCE. Our intern will be able to work with our ANR agent during the Farm Show and Ag Day, and our FCS and Horticulture agents during workshops and camps. 4-H experiences range from cooking and quilting, to livestock and STEM. Summer program curriculum is varied and a willingness to be flexible is essential.
2. Please describe the knowledge/skills you expect the intern to gain?
The intern will work closely with the Culpeper 4-H staff to gain the following skills:
- How to plan an educational program using the 4-H Targeting Life Skills Model
- Hands-on instruction experience with youth ages 5-18 in various settings (best practices for ages and stages of development)
- The importance of being prepared but flexible, and troubleshooting problems
- How to recruit and train volunteers (adults or teens)
- Program evaluation
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The Culpeper Extension Office houses agents in the areas of 4-H, 2 ANR agent (animal science and horticulture), and Family and Consumer Sciences. The intern will work with each of these agents in some capacity during the summer, will be present during staff meetings when program topics are discussed, and will have access to the VCE Intranet which contains information on all program areas.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County