Summer Internship Program: Fairfax County - Position 2
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
This internship will support the current programming of the Fairfax Virginia Cooperative Extension office in several ways. The intern will be essential in the preparation and implementation of 4-H summer programming including camp and the 4-H Fair. They must work the entire weekend of the fair with the 4-H Extension Agent and attend related meetings. The intern will also provide support to the Master Gardener and FCS program. The intern will assist on a variety of assignments and special projects that include but are not limited to:
- Organization of an ELC Legislative Showcase
- Management of Fair sponsorships
- Drafting of the Fair program and catalog
- Recruitment and management of Fair volunteers
- Teaching Prepare for the Fair Workshops
- Assisting with Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria 4-H Camp
- County Master Volunteer Program Support
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern will learn about the different programming areas that exist within Fairfax VCE and will gain a sense of what it would be like to be an extension agent. They will polish his/her time management and multi-tasking skills as they handle the many preparations that must be made to implement extension programming. The intern will learn about the many aspects of event planning including marketing, layout, acquiring permits, contracting vendors, budgeting, arranging for exhibitors, parking, signage, and volunteer coordination. The intern will work in the office and in the field, and so will learn about office culture and likely gain many valuable computer skills, but will also have opportunities to improve upon their interactions with the public. The intern will also gain experience in efficient problem solving as they work through unexpected problems as they arise.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The intern will assist with programming efforts from all three extension programming areas. The intern will also coordinate the ELC legislative showcase at the 4-H Fair which will drive them to learn more about what all programming areas including SNAP-Ed have accomplished in the past year. Working with volunteers and extension clients, the intern will have a chance to understand how VCE benefits residents of Virginia.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Culpeper
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County