Summer Internship Program: Fauquier County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H, ANR, and FCS
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The intern will assist with VCE events including 4-H Camp, 4-H Congress, 4-H Farm to Table Camp, the Fauquier County Fair, and 4-H Sewing Camp. The intern will also assist with Master Gardener initiatives such as the Green Grass Program and youth outreach activities at local farmer’s markets. When not working on these activities, the intern will help in drafting press releases about VCE programs, marketing programs through social media, and judging 4-H project books. The intern will spend a minimal amount of time on administrative office tasks.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern will learn how to plan and deliver experiential learning programs for youth age 9 – 18 working with community partners and volunteers. I expect that they will learn some horticultural, STEM, and FCS content as well through preparations for classes. They will learn time management skills as they balance planning and time at events with other extension activities. They will also learn about partnership development as they work with other local organizations to offer guest presentations or fieldtrips as part of Farm to Table Camp.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The intern will have the opportunity to assist with VCE horticulture and 4-H programs. The intern will also have an opportunity to work with other extension agents as they support their summer programming including FCS and ANR agents.
Note – 4-H Agent, Lenah Nguyen, anticipates being on maternity leave from May 8 – July 31. Another agent in the Unit will serve the daily supervisor of the Fauquier Intern while they are at camp and congress. 4-H Farm to Table Camp and Sewing Camp will be held in August after Lenah returns. FCS agent, Becky Sheffield, is also helping with both of these events and will offer support to the intern.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County