Summer Internship Program: Fauquier County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The intern will assist with VCE events including 4-H Camp, 4-H Congress, 4-H Livestock Camp, the Fauquier County Fair, 4-H Mobile Maker Space Activities, Green Grass, and youth programs at the Fauquier Education Farm. We plan to offer day camps as an alternative to overnight programs in case those are not allowed this year, and the summer intern would be very involved in planning and implementing those. When not working on these activities, the intern will help in drafting press releases about VCE programs, marketing programs through social media, and judging 4-H project books. The intern will spend a minimal amount of time on administrative office tasks, and there will be flexibility in working with horticultural, animal science, and youth programs based on interest and capabilities.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern will learn how to plan and deliver experiential learning programs for youth age 9 – 18 working with community partners and volunteers. I expect that they will learn some horticultural, animal science, and FCS content as well through preparations for classes. They will learn time management skills as they balance planning and time at events with other extension activities. They will also learn about partnership development as they work with other local organizations to offer guest presentations for day camps.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The intern will have the opportunity to assist with VCE horticulture and 4-H programs. The intern will also have an opportunity to work with other extension agents as they support their summer programming including FCS and ANR agents.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County