Summer Internship Program: Hanover County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H and ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
- Writing SPIN (special interest clubs) curriculum for SOL-linked topics as identified by agents and school science specialist.
- Serve as assistant Maker at 4-H Maker Summer camp at alternative school.
- Collect, document and assist in cataloguing insects from research plots.
- Organize, recruit, and facilitate canning class. Program to include bramble horticulture, small business entrepreneurship, food safety, and product marketing.
- Camp administration and logistics-lodging assignments, paperwork, newsletter writing and distribution, teen training and supervision, teaching camp class.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Coordinator to develop, market VCE volunteer recruitment materials using multiple media outlets to reach underserved and diverse audiences.
- Write, post, disseminate articles on VCE programs using multiple media outlets to reach underserved and diverse audiences.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
Organizational/prioritization skills, communication and graphic arts, production horticulture in Hanover County, using a dichotomous key, Positive Youth Development, curriculum development, marketing, food safety, entrepreneurship, career exploration, volunteer management, VCE mission and its application to locality, evaluation and impact measurement.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
- Many of our unit programs are inter-disciplinary; content may change but context does not. Intern will work with 4-H and ANR agents, Volunteer Coordinator and UAA to experience the diversity of jobs within one unit and on campus (VSU, VT), ARECS with whom we collaborate.
- Explore websites/facebook of unit, VCE, VSU and eXtension.
- Read, understand and apply the mission of VCE.
- Review Title IX training and Civil Rights Compliance.
- Read 229 Annual Report from last two years.
- Read Hanover and other counties’ Situational Analyses.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Culpeper
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County