Summer Internship Program: Henrico County
Primary Program Area Focus: ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The intern will work primarily with the ANR agent, but will also work with the 4-H agents and FCS agent to gain a better knowledge of the breadth of programming in Virginia Cooperative Extension.
The focus will be on the following tasks:
- Help coordinate the SMART Lawns program in the summer to relieve some of the workload from Horticulture technician. This would allow the Horticulture technician to help write nutrient management plans along with the AG agent.
- Help develop programming for our special events booths. This would involve
researching topics, developing props, and writing scripts/bullet points for volunteers.
- Help the Junior Master Gardener volunteers develop several new lessons and develop a lesson library.
- Tree Smarts program
- Create herbarium samples to be used by the agent in teaching Tree Smarts programs.
Master Gardener Support:
- Assist Master Gardner efforts, especially summer events prep
- Work with agent, staff and MG volunteers to market programs to the community
- Write several articles for the ANR newsletter to be published in September and December
- Contribute to social media by writing several short informational pieces for Facebook. These pieces would be on timely turf, vegetable, tree and disease/insect topics.
- The intern will have the opportunity to answers calls related to ANR work from homeowners and seek to answers the questions through research.
Collaborative 4-H Programming with Community Stakeholders
- Coordinate, plan and implement activities
- Assemble supplies
- Instruct classes and/or workshop(s)
- Provide supervision and behavior modeling to youth
- Develop curriculum and possibly teach a class
- Plan and assist teen and adult counselor trainings and maintain required training records
Family Consumer Sciences programming:
- Assist FCS agent with nutrition, wellness and food safety/preservation programming
Henrico Office Summer Day Camp Series:
- Assist the unit’s agents in late stage planning, preparation and delivery of 5 weeklong summer day camps.
- Learn about the work done by Soil and Water Conservation Districts since we share an office with the Henricopolis SWCD.
- Other duties as necessary.
- As the internship progresses and new ideas or intern’s interests surface other projects may be included in the plan of work.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern will gain experience in marketing and communications; time management; public relations and customer service; youth development programs; designing, implementing, and evaluating educational programs; exhibit design; and a basic understanding of horticulture and youth development principles.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The Henrico Extension office offers the intern the ability to see the work done in all the programming areas of Extension. The intern will be exposed to all of the programs that Extension offers in an urban setting in Virginia through working with extension agents covering FCS, 4-H and ANR in addition to program assistants that teach nutrition to SNAP (formerly called food stamps) recipients (both youth and adult). Depending on programming, the intern may get hands on experience working with the agents to see the various ways programs are delivered and offered. A written weekly report will be completed by intern covering their experiences, knowledge gained, and skills enhanced.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County