Summer Internship Program: Isle of Wight
Primary Program Area Focus: ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The Isle of Wight intern will be assisting the ANR and 4-H Extension Agents with various program-related activities, such as newsletter development, junior 4-H camp, Junior Master Gardener College, site visits with local producers, and 4-H club assistance. The intern will also assist with administrative duties, such as answering and fielding phone calls, assisting with mailings, and working with local volunteers to assist with their program needs (preparing handouts and other program materials). Because we will be working on an updated local website this summer, the intern will also assist with it’s development.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The Isle of Wight intern will gain a general knowledge of the VCE programming and reporting. This includes determining needs of local clients, program development, and evaluation. The 4-H and ANR agent are both very active in the summer months with producer visits, youth gardening programs, and various other programs. The intern will learn the skills necessary to work with youth, adults, and different adult volunteer groups, including master gardeners, master naturalists, and 4-H leaders.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The Isle of Wight intern will work closely with the 4-H and ANR Agents on program development and design, as well as how we work one-on-one with clients in our localities. The Extension Agents in the IOW office will teach the intern the history of Extension and how our programs have evolved over the years and how we are still evolving to meet the needs of our clients. While we do not have an FCS position in the IOW office, we do house an FCS/SNAP-Ed Extension Agent that can work with the intern on how nutrition programs are developed and how these programs are delivered to both adult and youth audiences.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Culpeper
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County