Summer Internship Program: King William County
Primary Program Area Focus: ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The Intern will assist the ANR Agent with planning, coordinating and conducting the following programs planned this summer for King William and King and Queen Counties:
- Beginning Farmer Workshop: Sweet Potato Variety Trial Workshop
- Beginning Farmer Workshop: Square Foot Gardening on a Commercial Scale
- Beginning Farmer Workshop: Pastured Poultry
- Virginia Household Water Quality Program Clinic
- King William County Fair: We will be demonstrating the use of a Wood Kiln to turn cutover timber waste into lump charcoal; a value-added product and we have demonstrations on solar power and ground water quality.
- The intern will assist the King William High School Agriculture Teacher 4 hours a week for Ag in the Classroom projects.
- Conduct USDA-NASS Crop and Weather Surveys.
- Attend extension related meetings with the ANR Agent (Soil and Water Conservation District Monthly Meetings, FSA Quarterly Meetings, local Farm Bureau monthly meetings and monthly Board of Supervisor meetings.
- Corn and Soybean seed variety trails.
- How to take soil and plant samples, process them, send them to VT and interpret their results to the client.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern will learn how to plan, coordinate and conduct extension programs; write non-scholarly publications in support of extension programs; conduct research and collect data from programs and write impact statements. The intern will gain valuable experience in collaborating with other Extension and Government Agencies and how to work with all level of stakeholders.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
My plan is to have the intern shadow me in most all of my day-to-day activities so they leave their internship knowing exactly what an ANR Agent does and the impact the Agent has on the community. I feel that this is a far more complete experience than simply assigning an intern one or two projects to work on.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County