Summer Internship Program: Louisa County
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H and ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
- Assist with the recruiting, development, marketing and implementation of short-term (summer long) clubs and day camps such as Natural Resources, Gardening, Cooking, Cloverbuds and more.
- Assist with Camp preparation – possibly attend camp and teach class if interested.
- Assist with training of the Livestock Judging and Stockmen’s Programs by helping plan and implement trainings and on-farm livestock evaluation clinics.
- Assist with training of the Hippology and Horse Bowl programs by planning and implementing training clinics.
- Assist by working the Sheep and Goat Sale with ANR agent.
- Assist with the Orange Area Wool Pool Collection and Marketing Program.
- Prepare program to present to the Louisa Cattleman Group.
- Assist with monitoring 4-H Livestock Projects
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
- Awareness of VCE program areas and corresponding events.
- Understanding of the correlation between VCE programming and community viability.
- Use of the programming model.
- Program/Event planning for intern’s camp class and the day camps.
- 4-H Camp preparation, forms, policies and procedures.
- Resources available to Extension Agents (FCS, ANR), and related procedures and responsibilities.
- Written and Oral communication skills.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
The intern will spend time with each of the Agents and Program Assistants and assist with a planned program in each discipline. The Agents and Program Assistant will share with them the many aspects of their program and the clients whom they serve.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Culpeper
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County