Summer Internship Program: Patrick County
Primary Program Area Focus: ANR
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The successful applicant will be working alongside the ANR agent throughout the duration of the 10 week internship. Applicants must be able to commit to the full 10 weeks in order to be considered for the position. Preference will be given to applicants with livestock experience. Duties will include fielding calls, farm visits, field day/program development &implementation, building program support and working with local producers to assist with marketing livestock via the Patrick County Cattlemen’s Association’s Calf Pool Marketing Program. The intern will be covering the County to get a feel for Extension’s role in the communities, as well as gaining knowledge of the ins and outs of the industry as a whole. The intern will be visiting with Patrick County producers on a day to day basis as time permits.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
The intern can expect to gain knowledge, experience and skills in areas such as program development and implementation, building client relationships, livestock handling/best management practices, livestock marketing and Extension’s role in local communities. The internship will provide opportunities to collaborate with industry professionals from Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), Virginia Cattlemen’s Association (VCA), Patrick County Cattlemen’s Association (PCCA), Southern States, Farm Service Agency (FSA), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and Patrick Soil & Water Conservation District. Hands on activities will include processing cattle, grading and sorting cattle, compiling data on sale cattle, developing rations, feed sampling and testing to name a few. The intern will also be responsible for designing and implementing an educational field day program for Patrick County citizens. The intern will be expected to present an overview of their experiences to Extension supporters to thank them for their continued support of PC Extension and the impact that it has had locally.
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
To allow the intern to get a better feel for Extension and its role in Patrick County, as well as the Commonwealth, there will be time spent assisting 4-H and FCS agents and their programs as the need arises. Interns will serve Patrick County as an “Agent in Training”, and will be expected to attend meetings during and after hours as needed.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County