Summer Internship Program: W.E. Skelton 4-H Educational Center
Primary Program Area Focus: 4-H
1. Describe your plans for this internship. (i.e. What specifically will the intern be doing?)
The summer camp intern will assist the Program Director in planning, implementing, and evaluating junior 4-H camp. They will assist with a variety of administrative duties, enhance programs, provide support to coordinators, summer staff, and 4-H agents as needed, and assist with day-to-day operations of the 4-H Center and other duties where identified. The intern will live on-site and be provided room and board during camp weeks.
2. Describe the knowledge / skills you expect the intern to gain from this experience.
During their time at the 4-H Center the intern will gain knowledge, experience, and skills in:
group dynamics, processing, and facilitation
American Camp Association standards as they apply to 4-H camp as well as best practices
camp administration, policies and procedures, safety, equipment, planning, and evaluation
staffing needs and conflict resolution
successful program planning, design, and implementation
retail, inventory, and camp store operating procedures
training/certification in various program areas may be available such as archery, riflery, challenge course, climbing/low ropes, and lifeguarding
3. How will the intern learn about the breadth of VCE and our various program areas?
Despite being a 4-H center with an obvious focus on 4-H and youth development there are many ways we can incorporate all aspects of VCE into an internship experience. Many 4-H agents utilize their ANR and FCS agents during 4-H camp, so the intern will have interactions and the opportunity to support agents of various program areas. We can also work with local agents in surrounding counties for various programming opportunities, and utilize these other program areas/agents to incorporate them into 4-H camp for new and existing programs. Classes such as horsemanship, small animals, STEM, campfire cooking, etc. incorporate other VCE program areas and will give the intern an opportunity to experience all aspects of VCE and how they both complement and benefit each other.
- Job Description and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- Locations of Current Internship Opportunities
Read about Internship Experiences of Former VCE Interns
- Marissa Eastep - Greensville/Emporia
- Joy Nystrom - Orange
- Mackenzie Moore - Middelesex/Essex
- Catherine Davis - Bedford County, 2013
- Kaitlyn Gill - Madison County, 2013
- Ashley Little - Prince William County, Natural Resources, 2013
- Alison Sutphin - Orange County
- Kayla Eppard - Greene County