Horsemanship Skills Program
- Virginia 4-H’s Horsemanship Skills Program emphasizes safety in all equine activities and aims to develop horsemanship skills and recognize individual achievement in a non-competitive, progressive program. As this program is further developed, additional levels and skill sets will be added. Beginning in 2013, 4-H’ers in Virginia who have not previously shown at the state level with their current project horse will be required to complete Horsemanship Skill Levels 1 & 2 in order to be eligible for the 4-H Championship Horse & Pony Show. Beginning in 2018, 4-Hers may apply to be tested at Level 3 and Level 4 at the state show. See the state show page for more information on the application process.
2021 Horsemanship Skill Testing Options
- Horsemanship Skills Level 1 & 2 FAQ (PDF)
- Horsemanship Skills Level 3 & 4 FAQ (PDF)
- Horsemanship Skills Calendar
- Skill Evaluation Reference Forms
Trained Evaluators - by District
This list has been compiled from evaluator trainings across the state. Please allow at least two weeks after an evaluator training for information to be updated and posted.
Evaluated Riders - by County
This list is compiled from information sent by evaluation managers. Please allow at least two weeks after a rider evaluation for information to be updated and posted.
If you have recently hosted an evaluator training or a rider evaluation, please fill out the appropriate form below and return it to Sandy Arnold within two weeks of the training or evaluation.
- Submission Form for Trained Evaluators (XLS | 28KB)
- Submission Form for Evaluated Riders (XLS | 62KB)
If you are interested in hosting a rider evaluation, you will need to fill out the form posted below and submit it to your district horse council. Once your evaluation has been approved, you will need to send the date and information to Sandy Arnold so that it can be added to the appropriate calendars.
Evaluator Trainings serve the purpose of training new Evaluators who will be certified to test for Horsemanship Skills, and once certified, they will be added to the lilst of Trained Evaluators. Evaluator Trainings may only be hosted by individuals from the Trainer List. Two Trainers must be present at an Evaluator Training. If you have any questions about the Horsemanship Skills Program or wish to inquire about scheduling an Evaluator Training, please contact Sandy Arnold at email@example.com. Dates will be announced on the listserve and PDF calendar as needed.
Level 3 and 4 Completed Riders List - CONGRATULATIONS!!